Q: The alternator seems to be relatively new, is it possible that the voltage regulator is bad?

My car had an issue three weeks ago. the red battery light went on. the battery was not in good condition, so I proceeded to buy a new one. As soon as I left the place, the red battery light lit up again. I returned to the place an apparently it was the alternator, but the next day the red light did not lit up and I have been using the vehicle for the past three weeks until Saturday night when I left work. The red battery light lit up. As I was driving and stop at the red light , it was about to shut down, but I step on the gas and the red light went off and was able to drive home. Is it possible that it could be the voltage regulator and not the alternator?

• The alternator seems to be relatively new, is it possible that the voltage regulator is bad?