Q: Where and how should children be seated?

asked by on December 15, 2015

Where and how should children be seated?

While adults can sit in any position in your car, that’s not true for children. Children must be properly seated at all times, but the type of seating will vary depending on your child’s age, weight and more. Here’s a brief rundown of the general rules:

• Infants should be in a rear-facing car seat in the back.

• Toddlers should be in an appropriate car seat in the back.

• Small children should be in a booster seat in the back, properly secured with the seat belt.

• Children too large for booster seats but not yet 13 years of age should sit in the back and use the seat belts.

• Children 13 years of age or older can sit in the front if necessary.

Tips

• Your child’s weight is more important than their age when it comes to seating and safety. Check your state’s specific laws regarding car seats and booster seats.

• Most areas require that your child be in a car seat or booster seat until they are at least 4 feet and 9 inches, or weight 80 pounds.