Q: My car is cranking but will not start,was told its the camshaft sensor.

The car does not start when i try to.The engine check light is on and its just cranking when i i tried to ignite it.Someone suggest i change the camshaft sensors. Thank you.

A: Hello. This may be caused by many different...

Hello. This may be caused by many different issues, however, the camshaft sensor is one of those possibilities along with the crankshaft position sensor. There are few other possibilities, such as bad coils, spark plugs or potentially a fuel delivery problem.

The crankshaft and camshaft position sensors are both responsible for relaying information about the speed of the cam and crank which help to control ignition timing and fuel injection timing. When either of these fail, this can cause a problem with the engine's ability to produce a spark. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose the starting issue and let you know what needs repair.