Q: Tech left oil cap off and now car won't start

I got my oil changed, but the technician left the oil cap off. My car started smoking and cut off. Now, my car won't start.

Hi there. Your oil cap will keep oil from splattering in your engine bay when started. It is possible that a large amount of oil has exited from this opening causing your vehicle to shut off. Also, the oil pressure in your vehicle is crucial for proper circulation of oil. Insufficient pressure will cause your vehicle to starve of oil. I suggest returning it to the site of the oil change and inquiring about the possible damage that has been done. If they will not help you, I recommend having a certified technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to diagnose the starting issue and determine what repairs are needed.

3. Tech left oil cap off and now car won't start