Q: Transmission pops out of gear

asked by on December 26, 2017

The trans pops out of 4th gear, and it sound like something is floating in the trans but that goes away after you press the clutch down. All other gears work fine. Clutch also has to be pressed really hard to get it into gear as well. I just bought the car but have a recipt for the clutch that was put in January of this year and the car hasn't been drove except once after the clutch was replaced. Just need to know if it's worth rebuilding or if I should just put a new trans in. Also what's the average price of having someone else do the work? Im rebuild a motor in my spare time for another car and don't really have the extra time to work on my eclipse

This may suggest the transmission synchros may be wearing out. Your transmission has small gear synchronizer rings that help to move the transmission in and out of the various gears. When these begin to wear out, you may notice it hard to shift in and out of gears or in some cases cause the transmission to pop out of gear. You may also occasionally hear a bit of a grinding sound when trying to shift from gear to gear. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.