Q: Very tight steering - 2006 Toyota Sienna

You said a very tight steering wheel while driving is a sign of a bad or failing steering system, you then suggested a minor adjustment could solve the problem. What component(s) would you suggest needed adjustment. Thanks and I appreciate your response.

Hi there. When it comes to the steering, look at all of the steering components. Look at the outer tie rod ends and see if the boots are split. Do a dry park steering test. To do this, park the vehicle on a flat surface and turn the wheels from left to right slightly and see if any parts move without the tires moving. See what parts are moving and replace them. If the steering shaft turns and nothing else, then the gear lash in the rack and pinion steering system needs to be adjusted or replaced. If you need further help with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to assist you with your steering issue.

3. Very tight steering - 2006 Toyota Sienna