Q: Whining noise in my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer's CVT Transmission

The CVT Transmission in my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer makes a whining noise when in gear. If you turn any music on a lower volume you can barely hear the whine. I wanted to make sure I am not going to end up with a much bigger problem by neglecting to have it inspected.

Check the transmission fluid level and condition. The oil cooler can fail, causing loss of enough fluid to cause noise from the transmission. There is a manufacturer Technical Service Bulletin relative to parts failure in the transmission accompanied by a whining noise. Manufacturer Communication Number TSB-15-23-003 refers to two primary pulley shaft bearings and one secondary pulley shaft bearing that if failed will cause whining but also a clicking noise, too. The noise increases in the passenger compartment as vehicle speed increases. If you did not hear the whining before, the noise no doubt reflects wear or a failure of some kind. If you want the origin of the noise pinpointed, and the necessary repairs identified and estimated, please request a vehicle noise diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. Whining noise in my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer's CVT Transmission