Q: Stuck oil filter

I need to replace my cars oil filter but it is really stuck and my brother tried using a screwdriver but it still won't come off. How do I take it off?

Hi, thanks for writing in. Try using a large screw driver and drive it into the filter at the end, then use it as a lever to turn the filter. If this does not work, then a three-finger style filter wrench may turn it off. The reason it is not coming off is the last person probably over-tightened the filter with a filter wrench or turning it too tight. When putting on a new filter, hand-tighten it until it contacts the surface and then tighten it at about 3/4 of a turn. If you would like help changing your oil and filter, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to do it for you.

3. Stuck oil filter