Q: Stuck oil filter

I need to replace my cars oil filter but it is really stuck and my brother tried using a screwdriver but it still won't come off. How do I take it off?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Try using a larg...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Try using a large screw driver and drive it into the filter at the end, then use it as a lever to turn the filter. If this does not work, then a three-finger style filter wrench may turn it off. The reason it is not coming off is the last person probably over-tightened the filter with a filter wrench or turning it too tight. When putting on a new filter, hand-tighten it until it contacts the surface and then tighten it at about 3/4 of a turn. If you would like help changing your oil and filter, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to do it for you.