Q: Vehicle runs rough; camshaft positions sensor problem

Vehicle runs rough. Camshaft position sensor is not properly positioned. I mistakenly removed it as part of removing the head for gasket replacement and resurfacing.

Performing an engine teardown and rebuild is a high magnitude job. Even for a skilled mechanic, there are often little problems just like the one you are experiencing that usually occur afterward. This is especially true if it is your first time.

The camshaft sensor needs to be properly aligned in order for the engine to operate correctly. It appears that you are comfortable around your Jeep’s engine bay, so if you are able to remove the cylinder head, tackling the camshaft sensor alignment should be a straightforward repair. You can do a general internet search for the Jeep Cherokee engine specific instructions regarding aligning the camshaft position sensor and give it a try. If afterward you are still experiencing camshaft sensor issues, or you would prefer the helping hand of an experienced mechanic, have them come and repair or replace your camshaft position sensor for you.

3. Vehicle runs rough; camshaft positions sensor problem