Q: Sticking Accelerator Pedal - 2006 Nissan Altima

I went to autozone to get a new battery installed just a few days ago. When I got in the car to go to the store about a day after they installed the new battery, I tried to turn the key and at first all the lights went dead. I checked under the hood and it turns out the "+" wire on the battery was loose and had come almost completely off. Frustrated, I plugged it back in and tightened it myself. When I tried to turn the car on again, the engine begin to rev(accelerate) on its own and the gas pedal became stuck halfway down. No engine lights or anything else have turned on since the issue. Could the problem be due to the fact that they installed the battery wrong? When I put the car into drive, it accelerates on its own to about 30 - 40mph.

Hi there. It is unlikely that the gas pedal being stuck halfway down is related to the poor installation of the battery. My first thought: the floor mat is stuck under the gas pedal. If not, I think the problem is in the gas pedal itself. Attempt to return the gas pedal back to the idle position with the vehicle turned off. If it does return, check to see if it will return on its own after depressing it completely. After confirming it does return. Start the vehicle and see what happens. If the engine still revs too high, don’t drive the vehicle. This is a safety concern. A professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to test the vehicle to diagnose the stuck pedal and pinpoint any needed repairs.