Q: Steering vibration at highway speeds between 60 and 80 mph

asked by on May 31, 2016

Even though I've had my tires properly changed and balanced, I still get a vibration when I'm traveling on the highway. I keep being told by the mechanic that there is No problem - however the vibration won't go away at higher speeds. What should I do?

The problem may be that the tires are balanced to about 60 miles per hour or less. The speed you are feeling the vibration is most likely above this speed. The mechanic cannot balance the tires above the speed their machine is calibrated too.

I would suggest having the tires high speed balanced by a different shop that specializes in high speed balancing. This may fix your problem or you have tires that cannot be balanced for high speeds. Remember to not exceed your tire speed ratings. If you want a second opinion on this, feel free to reach out to a certified mechanic who can diagnose the vibration first hand.