Q: starts then cuts right off and security light flashes twice.

starts then cuts right off and security light flashes twice.

The most common causes for this are the ignition lock cylinder or the PassLock sensor for the Vehicle Anti-Theft System. The lock cylinder and/or key may need replacement as well. Try and have this done first. If it fails to start, leave the key in the ON position. The security light should stop flashing or go out after 10 minutes. Once it does, turn the ignition off for a count of 20, then try to start it. That may reset the VATS system temporarily. If it does not, then you will need to get the vehicle to your local technician or have a mobile tech from YourMechanic diagnose your vehicle’s starting issue.

3. starts then cuts right off and security light flashes twice.