Q: Starting problem

asked by on October 15, 2016

Hi, I have my check engine light on the codes are P0300, P0161, and P0140. I have replaced the ignition coils already (also the spark plugs, starter, alternator, battery, and fuel pressure regulator). My situation is when I start my car in the morning it starts right up. As soon as I turn it off and try to start it, it won't start until after I hit the gas pedal several times while cranking and it starts. Is this because my sensors are bad? Please help. Thanks!

At 180.000 miles, it could be just about anything. The P0161 and P0140 codes are oxygen sensor codes, and probably don’t have anything to do with the starting issue, though you should have that investigated. The P0300 code however is a random misfire code and may be occuring when you restart the car. It’s possible that you have a fuel injector leaking. A leaking injector drips into the manifold while the engine is off and floods the engine with fuel making it difficult to restart. You can restart it the same way you did with the old carbureted cars, by holding the accelerator open to let some additional air into the engine. The engine then starts, but misses for a bit until the excess fuel clears out. If this is the way your car is behaving, you may be able to solve the problem by replacing one or more injectors. I don’t recommend this as the next step though,as there are many other possibilities. I suggest you contact YourMechanic and they will send a technician to your home to diagnose your starting problem and make sure you don’t spend a lot of money replacing parts unnecessarily.