Q: Starter will not turn over, nor engage

When turning my key in the ignition to start the SUV, the starter will not turn over, nor engage. All the electrical systems and the instrument panel lights function properly. I turn the key off and then back on and the car starts. I replaced the battery. The charging system and electrical system are in good condition. What can I do to find the solution for this problem?

Hi there, thank you for asking about your 2003 Infiniti FX45. The battery replacement has activated the "immobilizer" security feature. Consult your owners manual for instructions on how to disarm the system. Also, after replacing the battery, there is a "relearn" process necessary for the engine’s throttle mechanism in order to re-establish a consistent idle. Some service centers don’t bother with this. If you want to have this checked by a certified mechanic, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your starting problem.