Q: Stalls when accelerating from stop

asked by on March 06, 2017

2008 infinity ex35 runs great at idle and going down highway but stalls after stop and trying to accelerate. Starts back no problem. I had codes read and said to faulty cam shaft sensors (i replaced all 4 still same issue but that code no longer exists). I replace both mass air flow sensors (still same issue). The only code now says PO455 Control System Gross Leak Detected and reccomends changing the EVAP canister vent solenoid. Should i replace that or would it be something else?

Hello and thanks for writing in. The most common problem with the vent valve is when it sticks open or doesn’t close as a result of the solenoid not working properly. This creates an EVAP system leak and triggers the Check Engine or Service Engine Soon light as you have described. For example, a failed vent valve often caused a Check Engine light with the code P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected in some Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. Another issue is that some dirt and dust could be drawn into the vent valve through the vent hose and cause it to clog up. This will also trigger the Check Engine light. When an air leak is present in the EVAP system, the MAP sensor will not be able to determine the air density, and the MAF sensor will not be able to determine the volume of air, entering the engine correctly. This will lead to an over fueling situation or an under fueling situation depending on the size of the air leak and engine operating speeds and load an what causes the vehicle to stall as you have indicated. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.