Q: Stalls idling cold start - 1983 Mercedes-Benz 380SL

I have a 380 SL that’s been sitting for 5 + years that I’m trying to get running again. The first thing that it did was that it wouldn’t start. So I cleaned out the gas tank, replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel accumulator, fuel pressure regulators, coil, EZL ignition control module and warm up regulator. I got a new battery, Bosch plugs and cleaned out the idle air control valve with carburetor cleaner. Now it will start when the engine is cold, but it stalls when trying to idle. It will run smooth from a cold start if I keep my foot lightly on the gas pedal. Maybe I should replace the injectors or the idle control unit. What do you think I should do?

Hello. Before replacing the fuel injectors my recommendation would be to have a fuel injector cleaning done. The injectors may still need to be replaced to solve your problem, but this is a good place to start.

The idle control unit may need to be replaced as well in order to solve the problem you are experiencing. The mass airflow sensor may need to be cleaned as well as checked for any vacuum leaks in the engine. For more help having this checked, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the stalling issue in order to have this corrected.