Q: Stalling when idling down

My car started to stall as it idled down. I put in new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter and the Idle Air Control. I cleaned the throttle body with carburetor cleaner and checked for vacuum leaks. There were no leaks. My Tempo ran much better, but it still died on me when it idled down after warming up the engine. It wouldn’t stall while idling in park and first gear though. So I disconnected the battery to reset the computer, and it ran perfectly for 30 minutes. Then later on I did another 20 minute drive, and it died, but it started right back up. Then stalled again right away. Do you know what’s going on? Thanks.

A: Disconnecting the battery allowed the engin...

Disconnecting the battery allowed the engine management system to "reset" to initial factory settings. Driving it allows engine management to "adjust" to components that may not be functioning at their best: such as the mass air flow sensor, oxygen sensor, etc. There are, however, limits to how much the engine management can adjust to out-of-spec components. I would check the mass air flow sensor first, clean it if possible, then check for proper voltage readings. Replace it if it's out of spec. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the stalling issue and perform the correct repairs.