Q: Stability light comes on and loss of power

While making a slow turn the truck looses power. The steering wheel jerks in the direction I am turning. The stability light comes on and the truck dies.

This could be a problem with the programming of the computer systems under a possible recall or technical bulletin for the vehicle. You should have the system tested to see if there are any stored codes indicating a problem. If there are no codes then there may be a programming problem and the manufacturer has possible recalls and bulletins that may apply and would need to be verified at a dealer.

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a faulty wheel speed sensor or bad traction control module that may be causing the traction control system to engage inadvertently. The traction control system monitors the steering and stability of the vehicle and engages when loss of traction has been detected. This is done by the use of electronic sensors at each of the four wheels that communicate with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) regarding steering performance and stability in adverse weather conditions. The traction control system works by reducing engine speed and determining which wheel to apply brake pressure to in order to prevent the vehicle from sliding. The anti-lock braking system and the traction control system work together to maintain the stability of the vehicle. The computer uses this information received from electronic sensors regarding the rotational speed of each wheel, the horizontal motion of the vehicle, and the vertical motion of the vehicle to determine how to direct the traction control system or the anti-lock braking system to best control the vehicle when needed. When this warning indicator light comes on in the dashboard, this could be an indication of several issues such as faulty wheel speed sensors, a faulty steering angle sensor, a faulty rotational speed sensor or a problem with the steering rack. In some cases, the traction control system may simply need to be reprogrammed. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose your traction control system.

3. Stability light comes on and loss of power