Q: Something wrong with shifter cable and gears

I think there is something wrong with the shifter cable, something to do with the gears.

A: I’ll assume you have a manual transmission....

I’ll assume you have a manual transmission. If you are having trouble shifting, there could be a problem with the cables. The clutch may cause this as well. If it is not fully disengaging, it will be very hard to shift. I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come out to your car’s location to run a diagnostic inspection of your Corolla’s shifting issue, and suggest the best path to repair.