Q: Battery blew cap off while driving. In a few miles was running rough. Replaced it. Now it will turn over but not start

asked by on July 14, 2016

Now it will turn over but not start

You need to have the vehicle checked to see why the battery blew the top off. It could be from an overcharge condition that may have blown fuses or burned out a computer or module.

The battery acid that may have gone all over the place and will start to corrode connections very quickly if it is not neutralized and rinsed from the engine compartment. If you did rinse the engine however, you may have gotten water into a component to cause the no start.

Have the computer tested for codes and to diagnose the no start. If you drove the vehicle with the blown up battery you may have caused problems that would need to be diagnosed.

I’d suggest enlisting a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to come to you and diagnose your starting issue firsthand. An accurate repair can then be made once the problem has been pinpointed.