Q: Rear end clunking when braking in 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. When I hit the brakes, I hear a clunking sound from the rear end, almost like one piece of metal is slapping. I don't see that change in performance, braking or driving. Any ideas?

If you hear a clunking noise coming from the back when you hit the brakes, the first thing you want to check is the wheels and brakes. You want to see if the brake pads are worn, if they are moving back and forth too much. Sometimes on those Jeeps, caliper bolts get loose and they make a clunk when you hit the brakes. But another thing is--the rear ends on those things are hung on bolt springs and rubber bushings. Sometimes the rubber bushing on the top of the differential will get worn. When you hit the brakes hard, you’ll hear the clunking noise as it moved back and forth. So, you’ll want to check the rubber bushings that are back there too and make sure that they don’t have any problems. If you want a more definitive answer, I would have a certified mechanic take a look of your car in person so that they can listen to the sound and diagnose you car’s noise.

3. Rear end clunking when braking in 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo