Q: Emergency brake will not let off.

My emergency brake constantly stays on.

The 1992 Honda Civic was the second car I owned and I know it rather well. The information you provided is limited but I will still try to put you on the right path. If your parking brake is released and the brake light stays on, it is possible that your car’s brake fluid is low or that the sensor inside the brake fluid reservoir is stuck.

It may also be possible that the sensor that alerts you that your parking brake is on, has failed. In both these cases the parking brake is not actually engaged. In a situation where the parking brake is actually still engaged despite the lever being released, could mean that there is a problem with the rear brakes or even the parking brake cable could be sticking. This can become a serious problem for it is not safe to drive your vehicle with your parking brake engaged. I highly recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic. They can use their experience to gather all the necessary information needed to diagnose your car accurately.

3. Emergency brake will not let off.