Q: Sluggish feel in gas pedal

The gas pedal has been feeling very sluggish and also feels that way when I am starting the car. It has that feeling like my car is out of gas, but it’s not. There are four things that I am considering might be the problem: 1. The hose that comes from the air box and runs to the fuel manifold might be crimped which would cause low air fuel mixture for the spark plugs. 2. It might be bad spark plugs. 3. The fuel system might be clogged. 4. The lid to the oil pump (where I fill up with oil) has been coming off a lot, thus causing loss of oil pressure. Since I just replaced the fuel pump, I’m thinking that it is not the problem. It should have flushed out the fuel lines. Do you think it is the oil pump lid and what is your solution?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing about your 197...

Hi there, thanks for writing about your 1979 Volvo 244. First, you should confirm there is good spark at the spark plugs to eliminate ignition as a problem. Then, check fuel pressure for the correct pressure - it is likely low if there is a fuel supply issue. Chaining the fuel pump just moves sediment and debris along to the fuel filter and injectors.

When you changed the fuel pump (in-tank pump), did you change the fuel screen on the pump as well? Was there rust or sediment in the tank? On an older vehicle, this can be a huge problem. If there was - have the tank cleaned and "sealed", or replace the tank. The fuel injectors on older vehicles like your 244 are much more sensitive to sediment and debris than new vehicles. Once you are certain you have clean fuel going to the injection system, have the injectors cleaned or replaced. Check your PCV valve for being clogged if excessive crankcase pressure is pushing the oil dipstick out, or forcing crankcase breather hoses off. A YourMechanic professional can help you diagnose and repair your car.