Q: Q: Blown engine

Hi, We're in California. My wife has a 2014 Nissan Juke, ~30,000 miles. it was driving a little funny, and decided to take it to the dealer. On the way there the "service soon" light came on.

They look at it. Turbo is shot, there's barely any oil and they found metal shavings/bits in what's left of the oil.

My wife, who is usually extremely responsible has not had the oil changed. - certainly not good at all, but I find it hard to believe that 30K should eat up all the oil and the lack of an oil change either 1) isn't the cause of this at all; or 2) was maybe partially responsible for this.

The whole darn engine needs to be replaced.

What is your professional opinion?

Thanks, Bob

If you are saying the oil was never changed in 30k miles, then this would be the reason for the failure. A turbo engine needs normal oil changes about every 3k to 5k miles. The turbo gets extremely hot and will cause the oil to break down sooner than engines without a turbo.

Even in between oil changes, the oil level will drop from oil usage and you may need to add between 1 and 3 quarts between changes. If the oil got low and starved the turbo of oil to its bearings, then the turbo fails and metal from the turbo can be thrown into the motor and ruin the motor.

Unfortunately, it does sound like the whole engine assembly needs to be replaced. If you did all the oil changes and it blew up, then it would be covered. But since the oil was not changed, they do not have to repair it under warranty. You can try and see if there is a used motor available anywhere from a wrecked Juke, and then purchase that and have them put it in for you.

3. Q: Blown engine