Q: Whirring sound coming from engine

asked by on February 05, 2016

I hear a whirring sound coming from the engine. It gets louder the faster I go and only seems to be getting worse. All of the belts seem okay.

Hi there. That is a classic sound of a bad Power steering pump or it may be low on fluid. Over time, the high pressure power steering hoses tend to start leaking and cause the pump to run dry and make a whining noise. I would recommend having a technician, like one from YourMechanic, come out and inspect for a power steering leak and replace the hose to ensure that your vehicle stops making the noise.