Q: Adding Transmission fluid additives

asked by on August 14, 2016

Hello, I was wondering if adding any of the Seafoam Trans Tune fluid additive is a bad thing or if it could really help my cars transmission in regards to the little rough shifting that sometimes occurs. I also dont know if adding it to my trans fluid would result in over fill. Thank you

Hi there. I’ve never been a big believer in using additives in transmission applications. The purpose of an "additive" is to mask the root cause of why a component is not working correctly.

In the case of a transmission additive, it’s usually a coagulating ingredient that expands the transmission fluid to create more hydraulic pressure which can help (for a while) with the shifting. However, the drawback of using an additive like this is that it may increase the likelihood of blowing seals, or causing additional damage to the vehicle’s transmission.

As opposed to using an additive to help your transmission, I’d start with a transmission flush first to see if that improves the rough shifting issue on your Ford Escape.