Q: Shutoff when putting car in gear and accelerating

My car has around 180,000 miles on it and a manual transmision. The car has a usual startup and idling. The problem appears when I try to quickly accelerate and put it in gear. The car would cut out right away. I have to keep the clutch depressed and rev it up so that it wouldn't turn off. When it shuts off, I would restart it and it would run fine. At 55 mph, the same thing happens with strong jerking until I stop pressing the gas pedal. What is the cause of this?

You may have an intermittent fuel system problem. If the air/fuel ratio is not correct, the engine may run poorly and exhibit some of the symptoms you described. I would recommend having your fuel system inspected by a certified mechanic to check the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter, and other related parts of the fuel system.

It is possible that your fuel pressure regulator may not be able to maintain fuel pressure under all conditions. It is also possible that your fuel pump could be intermittently losing power. Whichever the cause may be, ensure that this diagnosis is performed by a professional as personal in order to detect the cause of your car’s jerking issue.

3. Shutoff when putting car in gear and accelerating