Q: How do the front air bags work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do the front air bags work?

Your Honda Accord is equipped with front air bags that are designed to deploy during certain impacts (moderate and severe impacts, but not in minor accidents).

• Sensors detect the impact and calculate the severity. A signal is sent to the car’s computer.

• One or both air bags will inflate within a split second. If the impact warrants it, both air bags will deploy. However, impacts in the fringe range may only cause one air bag to be deployed.

• In conjunction with air bag inflation, the automatic seat belt tensioners will tighten engaged seat belts.

• If no one is sitting in the front passenger seat, only the driver side air bag will deploy.

• Air bags deflate immediately after inflating (one-tenth of a second for inflation and deflation).