Q: Should I sell my car or pay for the repairs?

I just got this car in June. My dad bought it from a family friend he didn't look for a car fax on it or asked about the major issues. So he just went by what they said. A month into it, the car started jumping when switching to different rpm's my mechanic said it was fine it just might need to be replaced. I got new tires and an oil change. After a few weeks I took it back to the mechanic to get a tire alignment and he told me that before I could consider a tire alignment I needed to replace my rack and pinion and replace my brake line which he told me that if I got it replaced that it would make it safe to drive but won't last much longer. My transmission is getting worse everytime I drive it. It has trouble starting when it's below half a tank. Should I spend the money on the replacement or should I just invest in a newer car?

A: I would first get a quote for all the repai...

I would first get a quote for all the repairs needed after a thorough complete inspection of all major systems. Get quotes on all the problems including replacing the transmission and rack and pinion. Once you have a price for all the repairs then get a trade in value at a local car dealer that has newer vehicles that you like. Once you have the cost of repairs and the value of the car as a trade in you can then make a decision on completing the repairs or replacing the vehicle as is.