Q: Do you reccomend replacing the rear self leveling air shocks with just standard gas shocks, or stick with the self leveling?

The issue Im having is my van rides like a lumber wagon....It has the self leveling air system in the rear....I have noticed from time to time that the pump might be going bad due to how long it sometimes runs, and also sometimes you don't even hear it kick in. Im concerned that I stick a bunch of money into new air shocks, then the pump will go out. Im wondering if I should just go with the standard gas shock and not deal with the air ride equipped?

The rear coil springs that were installed on the vehicle in the load leveling versus non load leveling models are different (I checked the GM parts catalog to confirm). Inasmuch as the spring and the shock were matched for handling and performance you should NOT attempt to substitute a regular shock in a vehicle equipped with load leveling. If the difference were "performance" ONLY you could substitute but vehicle handling (i.e., center of gravity, ride height and so forth) implicates safety. The air compressor systems on these vehicles are relatively simple and easy to service and rebuild. If you desire that the air compressor be serviced, or replaced if necessary, please request load leveling compressor diagnostic. If you desire shock replacement, please request shock replacement. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

• Do you reccomend replacing the rear self leveling air shocks with just standard gas shocks, or stick with the self leveling?