Q: My truck cut off the other day while driving. Battery is new and good, check relay and its good. When I turn the key it won't move?

Truck cut off while driving. Won't turn over, lights on,radio on, buzzer on. Battery is new and good, relay good, could the problem be a bad ignition switch or is it something else? Thanks

A: Have the battery tested professionally if y...

Have the battery tested professionally if you have not already done so. A battery can show 12 volts while the car is off, but drop to a low voltage while trying to start the vehicle which is a sign the battery has failed. The alternator is responsible for maintaining the charge on the battery, so if the alternator is not working properly, the battery will drain and cause the vehicle to stall.

With a failed battery, there may be enough voltage for the interior to light up, but not to start the vehicle. Usually, if the ignition switch fails, nothing comes on. If you want to have the fault identified by an expert, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to determine why your vehicle will not turn over and perform any repairs.