Q: Are stabilizers the same as tie rods? I think no??

asked by on September 06, 2016

Is a stabilizer same as tie rod?

Tie Rod End Replacement $115.28 - $556.12 Get a Quote
Stabilizer Bar Links Replacement $98.15 - $349.51 Get a Quote
Air Shocks Replacement $154.29 - $2138.67 Get a Quote
Strut Assembly Replacement $276.75 - $2295.59 Get a Quote
Engine Mount Replacement $115.56 - $1715.27 Get a Quote

Hello. The short answer is no. Tie rods are part of your steering system. They are integral to your cars ability to drive straight and turn. I guess in some sense they contribute to the stability of your car, but by the strictest definition, they are not a stabilizer.

A stabilizer is a generic term that can be applied to many different components. Sway bars, sway bar end links, shock, struts, engine mounts all could be described as a stabilizer. They all play a part in controlling the cars sway and or motion that is required for us to be able to actually drive our cars. With these components, which are part of a greater system, we would not have much control over our cars. If you were to attempt to drive a car without shock or struts, you would be bouncing all over the road like a basketball. It isn’t fun at all.

Manufacturers will call many components a stabilizer, but they often have more specific names attributed to them by other groups. If you need help with an inspection, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your suspension.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr