Q: Are stabilizers the same as tie rods? I think no??

Is a stabilizer same as tie rod?

Hello. The short answer is no. Tie rods are part of your steering system. They are integral to your cars ability to drive straight and turn. I guess in some sense they contribute to the stability of your car, but by the strictest definition, they are not a stabilizer.

A stabilizer is a generic term that can be applied to many different components. Sway bars, sway bar end links, shock, struts, engine mounts all could be described as a stabilizer. They all play a part in controlling the cars sway and or motion that is required for us to be able to actually drive our cars. With these components, which are part of a greater system, we would not have much control over our cars. If you were to attempt to drive a car without shock or struts, you would be bouncing all over the road like a basketball. It isn’t fun at all.

Manufacturers will call many components a stabilizer, but they often have more specific names attributed to them by other groups. If you need help with an inspection, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your suspension.

3. Are stabilizers the same as tie rods? I think no??