Q: SES light comes on and power drops when accelerating to 4000 RPM, after which it drives fine.

asked by on December 22, 2015

When accelerating quickly up to 4,000 RPM the SES light comes on and there is a noticeable lack of power to get up to speed. Then the SES light shuts off and the car drives fine. It has only happened a couple of times.

Since this is an intermittent problem it may be difficult to diagnose. The first thing I would recommend is to have a technician check your vehicle for trouble codes with an OBD2 scanner. If the check engine light comes on at all, it will usually store a code in the system. Once the code has been pulled this issue will be easier to diagnose. It may be an intermittent failure of one of your engines many sensors.