Q: Won't start unless I wiggled the solenoid harness. Extreme break pressing or shifting through gears several times.

asked by on February 15, 2017

hard to diagnose over the internet. but i need help. i have about 3 different solutions to try. so i figured id ask here. i own a 2004 jeep WJ. 4.7v8 with the 454 rfe tranny. it will not start first time.. ever. very rarely. i ether have to press the break super( and i mean ungodly) hard.. shift the gears several times back and fourth( auto matic. so just sliding the shift knob through all gears and back several times). and possibly get under the jeep and wiggle the transmission solenoid wire harness. and it will eventually fire. when i turn the key. there is no attempted turn over. no sturring. just basically power loss to the radio and such..the starter was replaced last year. so if it was a dead spot. that wouldn't make since. so its ether the wiring harness for the solonoid.. the solonoid itself. or the ignition system...? HELP PLEASE lol

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There is a ground or broken wire issue in your vehicle causing the engine to not start. Check the harness to the solenoid and see if there is a loose wire or a broken wire. If the wiring is good, then check the wiring to the brake light switch and see if the wires are loose or broken. If the wiring is good, then the shifter interlock solenoid in the shifter is shorting out and needs replaced. Note: The ignition system is good as the engine starts and runs. If you need further assistance with your electrical issues, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Hi there. Based on your inquiry, I can see how you might be confused as to what’s causing your starting issues with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. If the car only cranks over when you wiggle the electrical harness; it’s quite possible that the harness itself needs to be replaced. I would also check your main electrical relay; especially if you’re having problems with accessories. Since there are so many possible issues, it might be a good idea to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection.