Q: Scraping noise shifting gears

I started having transmission problems when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear or from 3rd down to 2nd gear. 2nd would make a scraping noise. It usually happened at higher rpms above 4500 to 5000. I wasn’t aggressively shifting either. Then I did a test drive with the dealership and they replaced the transmission. It helped but the problem started right back up again. I have had experience driving manual transmissions, too. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on this?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2013 BMW 135i. The symptoms you are describing can be caused by both transmission and clutch pedal issues. If the synchronizer rings inside of the transmission wear out, it can cause the gears to grind when shifting. You mention that the transmission was replaced, so this is likely not the issue, however anything is possible. A problem with the clutch pedal can also cause the vehicle to experience grinding while shifting. If the clutch pedal is out of adjustment, or there is a problem with the hydraulic components, then the pedal may not extend fully, which may cause grinding. A closer inspection at the grinding noise while shifting by a certified technician from YourMechanic would be recommended in order to determine the exact nature of the issue.

3. Scraping noise shifting gears