Q: Rubbing noise from driver's front wheel while turning right

asked by on June 03, 2016

I upgraded my wheels to 2007 20 inchers. Recently, I started hearing a rubbing noise coming from the driver's side front wheel well while I'm making a hard right turn. It sounds like the tire is getting stuck or jamming up against the fender well while the car is leaning to the left (as it turns right). I looked underneath, but all the parts of the suspension are secure. The vehicle drives straight and true at highway speeds. I will be doing some work on the brakes and rotors soon, so I'll be taking it apart. Is there anything I can look for while I'm doing that? What else causes rubbing noise on hard right turns?

Look at the inner fender or track arm for signs of the tire rubbing on the parts. Your tires may be a little too wide for your vehicle. The fix may be to swap for a narrower tire. Also be sure to check with a custom shop to see if there’s an aftermarket solution for this issue.