Q: Rubbing noise coming from the front driver's side tire. What could be the problem?

asked by on October 27, 2016

When driving I keep hearing a sort of soft scrubbing noise coming from the driver's side front tire. Ive taken it to a local transmission shop and after driving it they said they didn't notice anything, but I am sure there is an issue in the works and I'm trying desperately to head it off. The tread on the tire looks fine, I know it's not scrubbing the wheel well, and it has brand new strut assemblies, including mounts, springs, and insulators, on the front end (the noise was there before replacing then with no change afterwards). The noise is noticeably louder when the tires have more pressure on them, like when going over a bump, but never gets so loud that it wouldn't be drowned out if the radio were cut on. The lower control arm needs bushings on that side but I've been told that shouldn't cause my issue and that I should be looking at the wheel bearing, CV axle, and transmission when trying to hunt down the problem. Is this true?

The wheel hub bearing could be getting noisy or the scraping noise could be caused by the brake pad material. The most common cause of such noise is when the metallic material in the brake pad makes a scraping noise when brakes are not being applied and then it becomes noisier when the brakes are applied.

Bad or faulty lower control arm bushings will cause the noise to resonate through the frame and body of the car when compared to good rubber bushings that would normally isolate most of the noise.

First, get a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to replace the control arm bushings and check the brakes for any cracks in the brake pad material and excessive metal material in the pads that can cause the noise. At the same time, get the wheel hub bearings checked for noise and replaced, if necessary.