Rough engine idle lights flicker loss of power PT Cruiser...

Q: Rough engine idle lights flicker loss of power PT Cruiser 2007 Turbo

asked by on July 01, 2017

After having the turbo replaced in my PT Cruiser when I got it back the engine idles really rough vibrating the visors even the hood. It does it less when it is in neutral or Park but it is still apparent. The interior and exterior lights flicker or surge with the inconsistent idling not sure if this is related. After spending an ungodly amount of money to replace the turbo took it back to the mechanic because of these issues we both noticed that the engine itself is not vibrating it seems to be coming from the air intake manifold and related parts. They put a new coil in it replace the plugs and wires put some octane boost in which seemed to help a little bit very temporarily they advised me to make sure to use the highest octane which I have with no positive result charged me another $300 yet accomplished nothing

It sounds like you may have a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.