Q: Replacing lower right ball joint 1994 Chevrolet Corvette

Do you have to remove shocks to replace front lower ball joint?

Hi there - it CAN be done without removing the shock, and removing the lower control arm from the chassis, but it’s tough. The old ball joint has to be pressed out, and the new one pressed back in. Tough to do with all the other bits installed. Best to remove the shock, and remove the control arm from the chassis. Some consideration to purchasing a new lower control arm with the ball joint already factory installed should be given as well. Since the control arm is aluminum, pressing the old one out, and the new one in will leave the new ball joint less tightly fit (interference fit) to the control arm as well - something important when cornering in a spirited fashion. For assistance, I recommend a control arm replacement service performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.