Q: How to replace an ignition cylinder? do I also have to replace ignition switch? cause key has a chip that's specific my dodge.

Hello, Pete My name is Niyigira Zacharia, Niyo for short. I'm a dodge stratus owner, and my ignition is messed up. It seems like someone tried to it, but they couldn't get the car to turn on without the key. Because it's a 2005 dodge stratus, the key for it has a chip in it. Now who ever it was, they broke the ignition cylinder in half, It's like there is no where to put the key anymore. Now II know that I am supposed to get a new key with a new chip, and a new cylinder, my question is, Do I also have to get an entirely new ignition switch as well?

A: In some cases i have seen the outer ignitio...

In some cases i have seen the outer ignition housing okay and just the key lock cylinder damaged. In others they damage the housing and ignition lock cylinder. In either case you cannot use your key; it will be a problem since the chip is programmed to your vehicle and will require programming. You may have to replace the entire housing on the column and have the new ignition key reprogrammed to start the car.

Before you purchase any parts, have it inspected to see the damaged parts so you get what is needed. You will need a qualified mechanic to install parts and program the key with a factory scanner. This may mean the dealer will have to do the programming of the new key or a specialized locksmith.