Q: Replaced fuel pump. Car won't start. 2002 Infinity I35

Car would drive steady at 45 mph, but would seem to run out of gas at 65 mph. Stopped the car. Stopped the engine. started engine and drove home at 40-45 mph. Decided the fuel pump was faulty and/or the fuel filter within the pump assembly was too dirty to allow fuel to pass through to support 65 mph. Replaced the electric pump, the fuel filter in the pump assembly and the fuel gauge sender section of the total assembly. Did not replace the small metal part that is in the fuel circuit and appears to be a fuel bypass device. This is snapped onto the fuel filter within the whole fuel pump assembly. Is this an over pressure relief device? It has what looks like a 'dump tube' to return excess fuel into the tank. Is it possible that this device is bypassing fuel before the fuel goes up the line to the engine? I verified that the pump delivers fuel by removing the fuel line from the pump at the pipe coming out of the pump assembly and turning ON the key. Gas comes out in a solid stream.

Hi there - the metal component you describe is a fuel check valve on the fuel return line. Its function is to maintain a small amount of pressure in the fuel system so that starting does not require the fuel pump to run very long before the engine will start. Having replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, I would check fuel pressure while the car is running. This is to check the fuel pump relay for burned contacts that won’t support full electrical current to the pump, and for proper fuel pressure - a malfunctioning fuel pressure regulator could also restrict power and higher speeds if pressure is too low. I would recommend an inspection of the fuel system by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Replaced fuel pump. Car won't start. 2002 Infinity I35