Q: Why does my power steering warning light come on in my 2013 VW GLI

I have a 2013 gli at 50,000 miles, last night the red steering wheel light came on with 3 loud rings i looked around for bad grounds and didnt find any so i just ended up tightening any ground wire i could see. I also disconnected the battery and waited a few minutes after these steps it seemed to clear the red light for the night and i assumed the problem was just a bad ground connection. The following day i drove about 30 miles parked and left my car. After i returned to start my car same problem with power steering failure, red steering wheel light and the loud beeps. just wondering what it could be and if i need to replace to rack or if it could be something as simple as a bad battery, fuse, or maybe a bad ground. disconecting the battery seems to help the issue for a short period so im not sure what it could be. please help.

Hi there. Most of the time when this occurs it is due to a lack of voltage. It can be from a failing battery or alternator. Most of the time the issue is the battery. If the voltage is dropping too low during start up then this will occur. I would usually load test the battery first. If it fails then it is the problem. If it is fine the the alternator needs to be tested. If you need to have this checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the power steering is acting up] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/brakes-steering-and-suspension-inspection

3. Why does my power steering warning light come on in my 2013 VW GLI