Q: Repair on radiator, one month later the radiator had to be replaced

Hi, thanks for writing in. I had my radiator repaired (I was told the cap was leaking and the system was plugged.) They flushed the system and replaced the cap. When I got my jimmy back in kept smelling hot coolant. I was told (not by a mechanic) that it was just spilled collect burning off.

Yesterday I noticed coolant under the jimmy and took it back to the same shop. They said that a seam had split. They replaced my radiator and charged me 325 dollars.

Is this right? I feel like it had been leaking from the time I got it back and they either missed the second leak or caused it. Yes I do think I should pay for the radiator but I don't feel I should pay for the labor.

Can someone advise me as to what, if any, steps to take?

Thank you, Deb
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi, thanks for writing in. I believe that you are correct. I believe you should pay for the radiator and the labor to install the radiator but not pay for the original service because this did not resolve your issue. It is certainly possible that the original service is what caused the crack in the radiator. It is also possible that the problem existed already and they missed over it. This is why to determine cooling system leaks a pressure test should always be performed. I would recommend negotiating with the shop that performed the repair and explain why you should not have to pay for the original service due to the fact that the radiator repair was missed over during their inspection.

3. Repair on radiator, one month later the radiator had to be replaced