Q: When the engine is started, warning lights show up on the dash for a moment and then go away.

Bought a used 2010 Nissan Altima couple of weeks back and from last one week observing below:

1. When I turn on dashboard, I see steady "Charge warning", "Engine oil pressure warning" and "Service Engine Soon" lights
  2. When I turn on engine, I see all these warnings for a moment and then all of them goes away. These warnings are never seen while driving.

This has been happening from last one week. Today I went to Autozone and the scan did not show any ECU code.

Went to mechanic and he said it would cost 110 bucks for just diagnostic.

Please guide if what I'm observing is something to worry about and do I really need to visit service center or mechanic to get this sorted out? Is there anything I can check on my own without needing to visit service center or mechanic? I have already double checked fuel lid and made sure that it's sealed properly.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Hello. This is perfectly normal. These lights come on at this time as the computer is testing them. As long as the lights are going off once the vehicle is started then there are not any problems.

Hi there. It is normal for the warning lights to come on when the key is in the ignition with the engine off. When the engine is started, the warning lights will remain on until the the issues are tested by the computer. For the engine oil light being on and when starting the engine the light will go out when the engine has made oil pressure. For the charge warning light being on, when the engine is started and the alternator begins charging, then the light will go out. The service engine soon light will come on to inform the driver that the engine is getting close to an oil change date. These are only warning lights and if the lights are staying on longer than normal, then check out the conditions of the parts related to the light to ensure that they are working properly. If you need further assistance with the warning lights, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• When the engine is started, warning lights show up on the dash for a moment and then go away.