Q: Regarding electronic brake control module

asked by on October 10, 2016

The EBCM was diagnosed to be the problem with my truck. The symptoms on my truck are lower brake lights and cruise control not working. Both were intermittent and now do not work at all. Your articles (links below) indicate symptoms that are different from mine. If it might not be the EBCM, what suggestions do you have for further testing?

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-electronic-brake-control-module-ebcm

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-long-does-an-electronic-brake-control-module-ebcm-last

Check the brake light bulbs, sockets and grounds first - they endure the most harsh conditions, and are easiest to check.

Given the "intermittent" condition you mention, the brake light switch itself, and the brake light relay are next on the list to check - both have contacts that will deteriorate over the years. I suspect one of these components are your problem.

The cruise control will not function if your brake lights are inoperative. If fixing the brake lights does not also fix your cruise, check the cruise control fuse.

I would recommend a having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, perform a brake light inspection to diagnosis this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage, and a cost estimate for repairs. YourMechanic.com can dispatch a mobile, professional mechanic to your location for this repair.