Q: When accelerate, car hesitates and jerks

When stopped at a red light and it turns green, I press on the gas pedal and my car hesitates slightly. It jerks back a bit and then smoothly drives. They told me that it is a CV axle and also the shocks. The past week, my gas mileage hasn’t been very good and I haven’t been using the a/c. I go to work and come home and so there’s been no changes in my driving. What do you think is the problem?

A: It’s hard to say the shop is wrong when the...

It’s hard to say the shop is wrong when they have been able to visually inspect the car while I have not. If you do not trust the shop’s diagnosis, it cannot hurt to get another mechanic to take a look. If you can jack the car up and look at your CV boots, look for cracking on the boot/ grease that has been flung around. A failed CV boot will cause axle grease to be slung all over the undercarriage of the vehicle. Gas mileage may be an unrelated issue. Common gas mileage problems are tire pressure being too low, dirty air filters, fouled spark plugs, and bad O2 sensors. A tune-up may be the fix for the gas mileage issue. If you need to have the hesitation diagnosed, or would like to have services done, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to perform needed tasks.