Q: Rear end grinds when I first take off but then is perfectly fine.

I have a 2006 chyrsler 300 touring AWD. My car makes this grinding sound from the rear end when I first accelerate, when It does this I can't really go. It only happens when I fist start the car and take off. I've had it for a year and it hasn't been getting worse but it sounds unpleasant when this happens. I can stop and go and it will drive perfectly, but that first acceleration after starting the car is when it happens, for only a few seconds I can't go. sometimes it won't grind at all and it will drive good from the start. Any idea what this could be?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2006 Chrysler 300. This could be a variety of things that will require some inspection to determine. This could be what is known as a center support bearing which is a bearing that houses the drive shaft. If this bearing is bad, it could possibly make this kind of a grinding sound which would come from the rear of the car. Also, it could be potentially a rear end differential problem as well. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose the grinding sound you hear and replace the center support bearing if necessary.