Q: Re- set computer on vehicle

Recently replaced the alternator by a local mechanic. After it was replaced the engine idles rough, key remote doesn't work and the radio doesn't work. The mechanic told me to take it to a ford dealer and have the computer reset. Is this a true statement?

A: This is true. After the battery is disconne...

This is true. After the battery is disconnected, the body computer will sometimes not recognize items that were not with the vehicle originally. The cost to get the computer reset may exceed the cost of getting the alternator replaced. The reason why you would have to go to the dealer is because they have the WDS scanner needed to reprogram the system. If you want a second opinion on this, consider having a certified technician diagnose the rough idle and electrical issues you're experiencing.