Q: Rattling in engine and won't turn on

I was driving my car and I realize that I had it in low. I drove about 30 seconds in low at 40 mph until I realized why it was being so loud. I pulled over and turned it off. I turned it back on and it didn't want to start and there was a rattling under the hood. I proceeded to drive to see if it was okay, it would rattle out of first gear and was fine when I was driving. When I came to a low idle, it would shut off on me and eventually wouldn't turn back on.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help.

There are a few possible causes of this, but by far the most common would be a failing timing belt. If it is loose or broke, then this will occur. I would definitely start by checking the oil level. If the oil level is low then it may be a major engine failure. If the oil level is fine then I would scan the computer for codes just to see if anything comes up, such as a valve timing code, which would mean there is a timing belt issue. At first it sounded like it may be a transmission issue, but that wouldn’t cause it to stall.

If you would like help diagnosing this engine issue, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your vehicle for you, and make any repairs as needed.