Q: What does the Overdrive Cancel and Grade Assist light mean on the dash?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does the Overdrive Cancel and Grade Assist light mean on the dash?

If your car is equipped with it, the Overdrive Cancel and Grade Assist system is designed to help with driving on steep grades and in other treacherous conditions. If the light is on in your dash, it means that the transmission’s Overdrive function has been turned off.

Grade Assist will be active until it is turned off. When that happens, Overdrive functionality will be turned back on (you can’t use both at the same time – Overdrive is for use on relatively level roads and normal highway speeds, while Grade Assist provides additional power and engine braking for handling steep grades).